Becoming a Wise & Faithful Steward

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints offers self-reliance courses and my ward is doing Personal Finances. As the mission of this 'blog is to share my journey with others I want to start by sharing that self-reliance is a principle of salvation.
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2016-12-037-my-self-reliance-group?category=chapter-1-becoming-a-wise-and-faithful-steward&lang=eng
That's how the group learns. Everybody gets an equal chance to grow both temporally and spiritually.
I've already learned that I spend way too much money on takeout food. Right now I've been sober for 34 days and I have a fear of losing that. So I tend to overspend just to avoid using drugs. However, as I learn to trust the Lord with my sobriety I also am learning to trust him with my finances.
You may be wondering how self-reliance is a principle of salvation. Well, in John 10:10 Jesus tells us that he came so that we could have life, and have it abundantly. The abundant life is part of what it is to have a victorious Christian life. I believe there is a solution to every problem. We qualify for the Lord's power to assist us by doing our part and leaving what we can't do to him. For example, I'm currently on Ontario Disability Support Program, as cancer and some mental health issues prevent me from working right now.  I used to spend my entire cheque on drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes. Heavenly Father did not stop me from doing that but when I got on my knees and begged for his help the obsession to use was removed. I began to attend Alcoholics Anonymous, Cocaine Anonymous, Addiction Recovery Program, and Celebrate Recovery. Two are spiritual and two are religious. I depend on these programs and God to keep me sober. As I do my part God does for me what I cannot do for myself. I abstain but Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ give me the strength to abstain.
It's the same way with finances. This month I spent too much on take out food as I explore my new freedom with money that no longer supports a terrifying drug habit. Now I'm committing to having a stricter food budget. Through the enabling power of Jesus Christ and my own effort I will be able to obtain all the spiritual and temporal necessities of life. What I can do you also can do.
To obtain the BLESSINGS of financial freedom  I must put into practice the principles of faith, education, hard work, and trust in the Lord. I have to diligently study and apply the principles of self-reliance, such as paying my tithes and offerings, keeping a budget, tracking my expenses, and paying my bills.
Here is an example of a creative solution to a problem:
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2014-06-2090-he-polished-my-toe?lang=eng
This gives me confidence about my financial future and you can have that confidence too.
I have a telephone appointment with credit Canada Debt Solution on Monday 1 October 2018. When I was using drugs I wracked up a $4'500 credit card debt. Now I  have to take responsibility for that. I regret my foolish decisions with my credit card but now I have to be mature and take responsibility for what I've done. This is part of self-reliance as well as a part of sobriety. One thing I've determined is that no matter what I sacrifice to pay down my credit card debt I will continue to pay my tithe. This is to obtain the Lord's BLESSING because when I tithe the LORD always -- all ways-- comes through for me whenever I need it. I trust God implicitly in this matter.
Thanks to the gift of sobriety I now feel in control of where my money goes each month. Christ's grace has helped me obtain the spiritual and temporal necessities of life by placing me in subsidized housing with affordable rent, plus extra money on my ODSP cheque for transportation and special diet requirements. It's by the grace of God that I live in Canada and in Toronto where such programs are available. I have free internet and free books through Toronto Public Library, which means I can be self-educated and also share these principles with others.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1998/10/to-the-boys-and-to-the-men?lang=eng

All things belong to the Lord, and as joint heirs with Christ we have a share in all those things.  I highly recommend Kenneth Copeland's The Laws of Prosperity which is available on the internet through pdf. You can just type it into your search engine. Remember, I'm a Word of Faith Saint, so I also look to the Word of Faith movement for my solutions but the words of the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will always come first for me.
Here is a plan for financial self reliance. Imagine a house: The foundation is faith in Jesus Christ and unity with him plus your family if you have one ans the final part of that foundation is your commitment to self-reliance. The first floor is your tithes and offerings. Pay them first and pay and honest tithe, from your gross income, not your net. The second floor is setting aside a one month emergency fund, paying your bills and insurance if you have any, and putting aside your savings before expenses. The third floor is eliminating your debts and committing to not acquiring new debts. The fourth floor is saving and inc=vesting for your future such as for retirement or university or owning your own home. Your investments belong on this floor as well. The attic , or fifth floor is to continue to give and BLESS others. This is giving to charity or slipping a $20 bill to a homeless person and teaching your friends and family by example. The walls of this house are work on one side and budget on the other.
As I follow these guidelines I plan to find suitable part time work once I'm done with radiation and chemotherapy for this year.  By being sober I'm now able to have a Blackberry and a monthly minutes plan that keeps me connected. This is another example of the grace of Jesus Christ in my life.
I have two action partners and I share with them about my expenses and whether I was able to to stick to my budget. Having action partners keeps me accountable.
The most meaningful thing I've learned this week is that finances are a gift from God and I must honour them as I would any other sacred thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Words

Creating A Budget

Sharing About Rahab