Becoming Unified in Our Approach to Finances

This segment in the book is geared toward couples but there is every way a single saint can use it, I promise. The foundation principle here is Exercise faith in Jesus Christ which I'm now sharing with my base here.
I'm having more of a challenge this week keeping my financial log because I gave up tea and coffee and withdrawal  has been godawful. Last week I logged every thing I bought and noticed I spend way too much on take out food. Part of it is my new freedom with money since I became sober but part of it was fear that I'd break down and call a dealer. I've learned to counsel with the Lord over all I do.
I shared all of last week's lesson on this blog already and it was a fun experience. Counselling with the LORD is definitely the way to go with finances. We need to pray over everything. Like Alma said, cry to the LORD over everything. Too many people ignore prayer and never call on the Lord and then when a crisis hits they think they're going to jerk their faith out from under the table and raise the dead with it.
Working with an action partner keeps me accountable and I realize I need to text my action partner.
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/principle-1-exercise-faith-in-jesus-christ?lang=eng
True faith all ways leads to action. I have faith that i can reach an audience so I dedicate time and effort to this blog, knowing if I reach even one person with this message it's worth it. Faith leads us to move because faith is not stagnant. Faith is necessary for God to help us temporally and spiritually because without faith God cannot move in our lives.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/the-sabbath-is-a-delight?lang=eng
See also D&C 59:16
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1984/10/the-power-of-the-book-of-mormon-in-my-life?lang=eng
The above links are to help with faith in action. Keeping the Sabbath day holy has a lot to do with temporal well-being and one I myself need to learn. I still make purchases on the Sabbath and I'm going to commit to not doing that again. Just think of it: If you go one day a week without spending ANY money you're going to have a bit more the next day. I spend too much on impulse purchases and that's foolish. Reading the Book of Mormon daily, just a verse or two a day, is helping me moderate those things.
Faith kept Daniel alive in a den of lions. The Liahona only worked when Lehi and his family used it with dilgence and faith. When the widow gave her last meal to ELijah her food never ran out. When we bring our tithes, our blessings pour out.  Here is my faith in action: I quit smoking and I needed nicotine replacement therapy. I only had my tithe so I couldn't purchase any NRT. So I paid my tithe. A few days later I got an opportunity to participate in STOP, which gives out free NRT. I got nicotine patches, lozenges, gum, mist, and inhalers, far more than the tithe money could have purchased.
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2007/09/seek-learning-by-faith?lang=eng
I am currently on disability and can't work but I can still take responsibility. Being self-reliant takes hard work and diligence.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/two-principles-for-any-economy?lang=eng
The people I know who work hardest at what they do are the happiest and most fulfilled. The lazy ones seem the unhappiest and most discontent. Depending on others keeps us helpless. Too many social programs teach learned helplessness by serving meals and never teaching people to cook. When I was strung out on crack I depended on food banks and vouchers. I had to stand in long lines and fight crowds and was miserable. I also had to take what I was given. Now that I'm sober and taking responsibility for my finances I buy my own groceries and the freedom is just beautiful. As I grow closer to Christ my sense of resentful entitlement toward society is dissipating and I'm taking care of my own welfare.
There are risks associated with relying on others for our personal needs. For one thing, they can't always be there for us. People have their own lives and their own schedules, and when we're dependent on them for everything it interferes with their happiness. It causes stress on ourselves and others to see them as our source. We also get lazy and expect others to do our thinking for us.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/that-i-might-draw-all-men-unto-me?lang=eng
My finances are still not perfect. I have a credit card debt that I need to begin to pay off but I am paying down my other debts every month. one of satan's most powerful tools for destroying unity is through financial stress. Married or single, wise financial stewardship will bring us closer to God and to loved ones and is a safeguard from evil.  Yes, we can can be unified to Christ through this, and being single, that's what I'm focusing on.
No husband, no problem, LOL.
However, joking aside I can be one with Jesus in my money matters. I pay tithes and also offerings. I donate to Every Home For Christ and Kenneth Copeland Ministries Canada. In November I'm going to see Joel Osteen and I'm already budgeting for that. I also have money to put in the cup for my AA and CA meetings. I consult with the LORD now before spending or making any "impulse" purchases.
Financial discord is worse than being low income. Now that I'm sober and staying that way I can see how important it is to monitor my money. I'm still not perfect at it and I still have an overdraft but this month it's much lower than it was before. Being unified with Christ over my finances is changing my life because it's preparing me for having a family, whether in this life or the next it matters not. Being a wise financial steward will prepare me to be a better spouse because if I do get married in the future I'll be bringing my own finances and a strong  budget to the relationship instead of getting married to mooch off a husband.
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2016-12-015-family-councils?lang=eng
My family council will just be my cats and me and the LORD as I pray over my budget and the food and vet bills. I'll also text my partner in this.
I don't have to be ashamed about being on ODSP. God will provide the right job for me when I'm ready for it and can handle it. I'm going to bring my disability tax credit form to Dr. Ike and then council with Primerica over how much to put into my RDSP once I open it.
I've gone a few days without spending money I earned and as a result I had the money for an emergency cab ride to Addiction Recovery Program when I missed Wheel-Trans.
That's one of the rewards of being unified with the LORD and exercising faith in Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Words

Creating A Budget

Sharing About Rahab